UC Irvine Division of Continuing Education’s 100% online courses offer convenience and flexibility and a real immersive online classroom experience + collaboration. Audible Escape is a monthly subscription that provides unlimited listening to thousands of love stories.
Support our show by visiting our sponsors! For exclusive discounts and promo codes, listen to the episode or visit EditYourLifeShow.com.
You might think that once kids become teenagers and are more independent, they need you less, but they actually need you more than ever. In Episode 174, Christine interviews Mary Dell Harrington, co-author of Grown & Flown, about raising teens. Christine and Mary Dell talk about how to handle teen reticence, how much involvement is too much, managing high school stress, making mistakes, choosing different paths, and relationships. While the focus is on raising teens, parents of younger kids will find lots of fundamental parenting wisdom in this episode.
Question Of The Week
If you have teens, what has been the biggest surprise about parenting them? If you have younger kids, what is your biggest concern about parenting teens?
Join the discussion on the Edit Your Life Facebook page—look for the Question Of The Week post pinned to the top of the page.
Resources mentioned in this episode
- Minimalist Parenting (our book)
- Parent Hacks (my book)
- Grown & Flown: website + Facebook community + book
- Related/mentioned Edit Your Life Episodes: Episode 121: Choosing The Right College [guest interview with Lisa Heffernan], Episode 158: Untangling Overparenting [guest interview with Jessica Lahey], Episode 81: Reducing High School + College Stress [guest interview with Gabrielle Blair], Episode 170: Raising A Screen-Smart Kid [guest interview with Julianna Miner], Episode 79: The Joy of Tweens + Teens, Episode 134: Tips For Communicating With Teens, Episode 122: Helping Teens Thrive [guest interview with Ken Ginsburg]
- Grown & Flown articles discussed during this episode: 8 Tough Teen Conversations about Sex, Drugs, Alcohol, and More by Christine Koh, The 10 Life Skills To Teach Your Teens NOW, Before They Leave Home by Christine Koh, Have a Teen Looking at a Vocational or Trade School? Here’s What You Need to Know by Melissa Fenton
- Christine’s life skills series on Boston Mamas
- Books recommended by Mary Dell Harrington: Untangled and Under Pressure by Lisa D’Amour, The Teenage Brain by Frances Jensen
- Recommended website by Mary Dell Harrington re: relationships: Making Caring Common