How to choose the right college? If college may be in your kid’s future, don’t miss this surprising, practical, deeply comforting episode. In Episode 121 of Edit Your Life, Asha interviews Lisa Heffernan, co-founder of Grown & Flown, a blog about parenting 15-25 year old kids through high school, college, and beyond. Asha and Lisa talk big-picture-to-nitty-gritty about the elusive notion of “college fit,” what really brings kids success (hint: it’s not the college’s reputation or pedigree), how to let go of baggage about where kids “should” go to college, how to support your kids without taking over, and more.
Resources mentioned in this episode
- Minimalist Parenting (our book)
- Grown & Flown blog
- Grown & Flown Parents Facebook group
- Lisa Belkin’s NY Times blog, Motherlode (no longer being published)
- G&F blog post about college admission counselor blogs
- Book recommendation: Where You Go Is Not Who You’ll Be: An Antidote to the College Admissions Mania by Frank Bruni
- Book recommendation: College Admission: From Application to Acceptance, Step By Step, by Robin Mamlet and Christine VanDeVelde
- Book: The Naked Roommate by Harlan Cohen
- Book: The Naked Roommate for Parents Only by Harlan Cohen
- Related episode: Episode 81: Reducing High School and College Stress [interview with Gabrielle Blair]
- Related episode: Episode 79: The Joy of Tweens and Teens
Question Of The Week
If you went to college, what made it the right (or wrong) fit for you? Join the discussion on the Edit Your Life Facebook page (look for the Question Of The Week post pinned to the top of the page).
Get In Touch
- Email us at email@example.com
- Talk to us on Instagram or Twitter using #EditYourLifeShow
Interested in sponsorship?
We’ve got an awesome range of lifestyle, parenting and productivity topics in the queue for future episodes. If you’d like to discuss sponsoring an episode, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Catch up on previous episodes
Here’s a complete listing of every episode.