Support our show by visiting our sponsors! ModCloth offers unique clothing and accessories featuring an inclusive size range that celebrates all women.Ana Luisa Jewelry is a purveyor of exceptional jewelry without the high mark-up. Hopster is an award-winning learning and entertainment app for kids ages 2-6. BetterHelp is a convenient platform that allows you to connect with a licensed professional counselor in a secure and private online environment.
For exclusive discounts and promo codes, listen to the episode or visit EditYourLifeShow.com.
Technology is both wonderful and complicated, and the complications grow exponentially as screens go from educational or entertainment “playback” for younger kids to digital eco-system and social “livelihood” for tweens and teens. In Episode 170, Christine interviews Julianna Miner about her new book, Raising A Screen-Smart Kid: Embrace the Good and Avoid the Bad in the Digital Age. Christine and Julianna talk about how to decide when to get your kid a phone, kids and digital affirmation, modeling good tech behavior, teaching kids social skills, identifying digital addiction, and understanding digital mentorship.
Resources mentioned in this episode
- Minimalist Parenting (our book)
- Parent Hacks (Asha’s book)
- Rants From Mommyland (Julianna’s OG blog)
- Raising A Screen-Smart Kid: Embrace the Good and Avoid the Bad in the Digital Age(Julianna’s book)
- Responsibility.org (alcohol responsibility organization through which Julianna and Christine met)
- 8 Tough Teen Conversations about Sex, Drugs, Alcohol, and More: A Guide for Parents (Christine’s article at Grown and Flown)
- Edit Your Life Episode 139: Nurturing Your Friendships (model in-person social relationships for your kids)
- Edit Your Life Episode 158: Untangling Overparenting (guest interview with Jessica Lahey)
- Edit Your Life Episode 94: Raising Tech Positive Kids (guest interview with Devorah Heitner)
- Parents: Reject Technology Shame (Atlantic article on the importance of digital mentorship)
- John Kannell of @preppykitchen (Christine + her girls love his cake videos!)
- Related Edit Your Life technology episodes—Episode 19: The Upside of Electronics; Episode 41: Smarter Smartphone Use; Episode 126: Managing Summer Screen Time
Question Of The Week
What’s a positive way you interact with your kids around technology? Join the discussion on the Edit Your Life Facebook page.