The challenge of parenting siblings takes many of us by surprise. There’s no such thing as “normal” when it comes to how siblings relate to each other, or how the family system changes when more personalities come into the mix. And then there’s the added layer of family history: how our own sibling stories influence our parenting choices.
In Episode 95 of Edit Your Life, Asha and Christine respond to a listener’s question about parenting siblings, sharing 9 tips for understanding and supporting kids both as siblings and individuals, handling sibling conflict, and dealing with personal sibling baggage that may be impacting how your parent your kids.
Resources mentioned in this episode
- At Amazon: Minimalist Parenting (Christine and Asha’s book…the inspiration for this podcast)
- At Amazon: Siblings Without Rivalry by Adele Faber & Elaine Mazlish (a great book by the authors of another favorite parenting book, How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk)
- Episode 28: Learning To Compromise Well (guest interview with Jonathan Baxter)
- Related episode: Episode 58: Improving Relationship Communication (guest interview with Jonathan Baxter)
- Related episode: Episode 72: Minimalist Parenting
Question Of The Week
What do sibling relationships look like in your family? Join the discussion on the Edit Your Life Facebook page (look for the Question Of The Week post).
Contribute to Our 100th Episode!
Last call! For our 100th episode we’d love to hear your voices in our ears (and also help you edit your life) so we’re planning a rapid fire episode where we address as many listener questions as possible. Record your question as a voice memo on your iPhone or voice recording app for Android and email it to email@example.com by September 30.
Get In Touch
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Talk to us on Instagram or Twitter using #EditYourLifeShow
Interested in sponsorship?
We’ve got an awesome range of lifestyle, parenting and productivity topics in the queue for future episodes. If you’d like to discuss sponsoring an episode, email us at email@example.com.
Catch up on previous episodes
Here’s a complete listing of every episode.